Professional Continuing Education Through MCOHS
Continuing Education Face to Face Training Courses
We offer professional continuing education in the areas of:
Industrial Hygiene (including hazardous substances); Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing; Injury Epidemiology and Control, Occupational Medicine; Occupational Health Services Research and Policy; and the National Occupational Research Agenda
Occupational Health and Safety Online Courses
Free online modules targeted at occupational health and safety professionals of all experience levels, especially those involved in industrial hygiene, occupational health nursing, and occupational medicine.
Julie Alcorn-Webb, MA, Program Director
The Midwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety (MCOHS) Continuing Education (CE) program mission, "to improve occupational/environmental health and safety through the transmission of knowledge, skill and understanding to those responsible for workplace health and safety," is complemented by the mission of its administrative home, the Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach, which is "to promote access to lifelong learning that bridges academic and public health practice communities through education/training for practicing public health professionals."
To accomplish these dual missions the MCOHS CE program:
1) conducts and accesses multifaceted local, regional and national needs assessments to determine continuing education needs of occupational safety and health (OSH) professionals;
2) responds to needs of broad-based OSH professional audiences by developing/offering relevant courses;
3) maintains high-quality course offerings as evidenced by ongoing course, instructor, and selected impact evaluations,
4) maximize resources and knowledge base by collaborating with both internal and external individuals and groups; and
5) increases benefit/reach of face-to-face programs and online learning opportunities using innovative technology.
The MCOHS CE training program is committed to offer training in the core disciplines as well as interdisciplinary programs, covering a wide spectrum of interest and skill levels with introductory and advanced courses in hazard-specific and/or industry-specific topics, emerging OSH issues, and traditional,longstanding exam/practice review and update/refresher programs.
Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach
The Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach (CPHEO) facilitates the Continuing Education component of the Midwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety. CPHEO also facilitates designated MCOHS public lectures, such as the NORA Symposia Series.
Education and Research Centers for Occupational Safety and Health
Access information on continuing education programs for OH&S professionals across 17 university-based Education and Research Centers (ERC) funded by NIOSH:
Director of Continuing Education
Julie Alcorn-Webb, MA
2221 University Ave SE, Suite 110
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach (CPHEO)
School of Public Health
University of Minnesota
420 Delaware Street SE
MMC 197 Mayo 8197A
Minneapolis, MN 55455